Sorry, we couldn't find anything matching that search term.

    In the blog
      Claims View all

        Housing Disrepair Claims

        What is housing disrepair?

        Almost 1 in 4 households in Britain will be renting privately by 2021, according to the Knight Frank Tenure Distribution model.

        This equates to 5 million households, and there are a further 2.2 million council house properties and 4.1 million homes where housing associations are the Landlords (Equity Housing Group).

        Landlords have a duty to keep the property you are renting in good repair and fit you to live there.

        It makes no difference if you live in a property where the Landlord is Private, a Housing Association property or the Local Authority is your Landlord, they all have the same obligations towards you.

        In recent legislation The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018, the Government has reinforced this duty, implying a term in your lease that the property is fit for you to live in at the commencement of your tenancy, and will remain so during the duration of your tenancy.

        If your Landlord has allowed your home to deteriorate, notwithstanding you have told him of the issues you are having, the court will order your Landlord to put things right.

        The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) will help judges in deciding whether your Landlord has breached his contract with you and will take into account issues such as:

        • The quality of repairs
        • Stability of the property
        • Any damp
        • Natural lighting
        • Ventilation
        • Water supply

        You may be a vulnerable individual, worried about losing your home or fear intimidation if you complain.

        At The Specter Partnership, we understand these concerns, and will treat your claim with the utmost sensitivity and care, advising you in the strictest confidence and without obligation.

        It may be that the issues you have had in the rented premises have caused a deterioration in your health.

        Damp premises can lead to mould which in turn can lead to asthma other illnesses.

        If you have been injured, we will arrange to have your premises checked by a surveyor who will take the necessary readings to establish if your premises are damp.

        We will then arrange medical evidence and if we can prove your illness arose from the condition of your letting, we will seek housing disrepair compensation for you.

        Proving your case

        There is no need to suffer in silence – The Specter Partnership are here to help.

        Please take photographs to show the state of the property you occupy and keep notes of your attempts to have the problem rectified by your property owner.

        If your property has fallen into disrepair, you are entitled to have those repairs carried out at your Landlord’s cost.

        We will arrange to speak with you and if we are satisfied that there are grounds for a claim, we will deal with the case on a No Win No Fee basis. This means that if we do not win your case, you won’t pay us anything.

        We will also arrange for a surveyor to inspect your premises for defects.

        We will quantify your claim and obtain medical evidence to support your claim and that of your family members (if appropriate).

        Some Landlords will agree to compensate you and rectify the premises, in which case we will have it re-inspected to ensure that the work has been done, the property is now moisture free and fit for habitation.

        If there is a failure to comply then we will apply to the court for an order requiring the Landlord to repair the property to an adequate standard, as well as seek housing disrepair compensation and legal costs.

        Call 0300 303 3629, or use our quick online claim form, a member of a friendly legal team will be happy to help.


        1. What if the Landlord tries to evict me?

          Under the Protection from Eviction Act, your Landlord cannot do that without a court order and if you are intimidated in any way, we will take immediate court action to protect you.
        2. How much will it cost me?

          If we consider you have a good case we will pursue it on a No Win No Fee basis so if we do not win your case you pay nothing.
        3. How long will it take?

          Many property owners will act promptly to repair your dwelling when a solicitor takes action but if you have suffered injury the case may take a number of months to resolve.
        4. Who will deal with my case?

          A legally qualified solicitor or legal executive will deal with your claim.

        Want free initial advice?

        Call us on 0800 019 3460 or enter your details and we'll call you!

        Thank you! We will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your claim.
        I can confirm I have read and accepted the privacy policy